These are from the first life drawing session at Faultline.
Share and Enjoy
One more color to print, which is going to be yellow and red eye spots on the wings. These have turned out really well, I can’t wait to start cutting them out. All the metallic and reflective inks throw the light in different ways depending on the angle, so having a bunch of them with all the wings tilted in different directions will show off all the effects nicely.
I started printing the blue on the butterflies yesterday, but I was a little too tired from working late and getting up early to print the whole run. Things like this I like to do when I am fresh, especially since the blue is so important to the overall look of the print. I’m hoping to get all these prints finished today so I can start cutting them out and getting my piece together for the Faultline Grand Opening May 12th.
I’ve been working in a new way with the butterflies, and it has been way more fun than the previous way of spending days at the computer. This print is almost entirely hand drawn, I just used the computer to assign the colors to specific areas in of the butterfly. Some of the colors of the butterfly overlap by less than 1/100 of an inch, so a computer still comes in handy.
The above drawing is ink on vellum, I made 2 of these for the background to the butterflies and overlapped the images several times with varying colors so all the prints are quite different. Then when I screen print the butterflies on top, all 3300 butterflies will be at least slightly different. Usually the challenge with printmaking is making all the prints the same, so making them all different is a whole new problem, especially in quantity.
One thing that is interesting to me is the colors shift according to the angle of the light, and colors printed on top of other colors have more surface sheen, you can tell there is another layer underneath, even if the top color is opaque. I’ve always been fascinated by this phenomenon, and the butterflies work really well at showing this off since I’m going to cut out each butterfly and tilt the wings at different angles to catch the light.